Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Treasury Wednesday 4: Hoot Hoot!

Happy Wednesday Evening!  A beautiful day in Arizona, away from the snow and rain.  ;)  Not very productive on the crafting front--a 17-month-old boy with grabby hands is not conducive to knitting!  I am slowly creating knitted amigurumi patterns, and am very happy with how they are turning out.  I am hoping to streamline my amigurumi line, and have picked 3 (o.k., maybe 4) "themes" to stick with.  Hopefully this will help me in creating more items on a regular basis, instead of spending so much of my time trying to create new patterns.

On to the Treasury!  This week's theme: owls!  This week I was thinking about how much I missed the woodland areas of Michigan (where I was born and raised), and the sounds of birds both day and night.  Owls are an uncommon thing in this part of the country, even more so when you live in the city.  So to celebrate the owl, here are a few owl-themed items!

Hoot Hoot! on Etsy

Micro Gray Owl by Su Ami

Almost unbearably adorable, and totally mind boggling!  I squee involuntarily every time I try and look at this little guy.  He measures less than 1cm tall!  The very fact that someone has the time and patience to crochet these tiny animals is amazing to me.  His perfect little details makes him that much more amazing!


Owls & Hearts - Valentine Cookies - 2 Dozen by Sweet Art Sweets
Adorable and delicious!  These little cookies are wonderfully detailed and sweetly petite.  These would make such a creative Valentine's Day gift.  Because let's be honest, roses are romantic, but you can't eat them.  ;)


Owl Art - Spotted Owl by amber alexander
Amber Alexander has been a member of Etsy since 2007, and has sold a staggering number of original paintings and prints.  When someone has 100% feedback after over having 9,000 sales, you know that she must be doing something right!  This owl print is a beautiful contrast; the detailed face with  wonderfully smudgy feathers; his charcoal back fades to soft tan, surrounded by stark whiteness.  So often in paintings, the eyes of the subject lack liveliness; in this painting, they draw you in.  They're fixed, yet softly staring, as if he's daydreaming.  It all adds up to something lovely and wonderful.


Life Sized Needle Felted Barn Owl by Handmade by November
When I showed this photo to my husband, he thought it was a real barn owl.  It's amazing to me what someone can do with raw wool and a simple barbed needle.  I love needle felting, and with my somewhat limited experience I can appreciate the time and care is put in to a large piece like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment