Thursday, January 19, 2012

Classic Film Friday 1: The Apartment, which started it all

original movie poster source: www.oscar.com



Well everyone, it's happening!  I am officially adding a special weekly post dedicated to one of my biggest passions, classic film.  I know, it has nothing to do with crafting.  But my husband will soon volunteer for some horrid temporary-hearing-loss medical testing out of sheer boredom as a result of listening to me natter on about some black and white flick.  So I'm bringing the nattering to you!  (I can just hear you groaning...I mean cheering...in anticipation!).  Once a week I will tell you about a classic film, whether it is one that I have just watched for the first time, or one that I know well and love.  And of course, I sincerely welcome your thoughts and comments!  I would like this to be a discussion!

Week 1:  The Apartment (1960)

I adore classic film.  The first film I remember watching while consciously realizing it was a classic film was 1960's The Apartment, with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine.  It is a movie that is still vivid in my mind.  It was the first film to hold power over me, the first film to enchant me with the deep shadows of black and white filmography, to captivate me with the still alien customs of a bygone era.  It was a marked turning point in my life, a point that led to a deep fascination with film, filmography, and everything relating to mid-century.  That movie has led to what I am sure will be a life-long love of films.

The movie tells the story of C.C. Baxter (Lemmon), a lonely paper pusher for a large insurance company with high aspirations for his future.  He allows the 4 bigwigs of the company to use his city apartment for their extramarital affairs, and is running ragged trying to coordinate their demands for the use of his home.  Baxter's neighbors assume he is the one bringing women home every night, and have labeled him a "good time Charlie."  He takes in in stride, believing this situation will lead to his much longed-for promotion.  In the meantime, he attempts to start a relationship with elevator girl Fran Kubelik (MacLaine), who is secretly having an affair with a different boss, who soon demands use of Baxter's apartment as well.  A Christmas Eve disaster leads to Fran staying at Baxter's apartment for 2 days, during which he coaxes her out of her depression.  Fran continues her affair after they both return to work, until she hears that Baxter has quit the firm after finally saying no to his demanding bosses.  She rushes to his apartment, where she finds him packing his things to leave.  She nonsensically suggests they finish their last gin rummy game.  Baxter professes his love for Fran, to which she replies with the now famous line, "Shut up and deal."

The thing about this film that drew me in the most was Jack Lemmon's performance.  It was my first experience with Lemmon outside of Grumpy Old Men, and it surprised me.  He has a manic, powerful energy on screen that I have hardly seen in anyone else.  Sometimes when the scene is really emotional, and he is winding up, it seems as though he can't get the words out fast enough; that he has to say this, that he must get it out for fear of bursting.  His performance is brilliant.  Of course, Shirley MacLaine matches him blow for blow.  She looks so young, so clear-faced and venerable.  But underneath is a complex woman, older than her years and yet in many ways still a silly love-struck child.

It is the type of film that you sink in to, with characters that you fall in love with in a matter of minutes, whom you root for and sit on the edge of your seat for; that you miss when the film is over, in a husked-out emotional roller coaster sort of way.  It is one of the best films that I've ever seen; I came to it so early in my venture to classic film that it is the bar to which I hold other films, it is the film I compare all other films to in their capacity to make me feel and relate, in their ability to hold my attention.  To make sure I have done it justice, I have to say it one more time:  This is a brilliant film.

No comments:

Post a Comment