Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Treasury Wednesday 3: Edgar Allan Poe Day

Sheesh, I am no good at keeping this blog updated!  I will try, try, TRY to be better about it, now that we're all settled in our new house and work isn't so holiday-busy.


This week's treasury was inspired by the UK's approaching Edgar Allan Poe Day.  I love Poe's work, ever since I was first introduced to it in grade school.  The macabre lyrical quality is like nothing else--which is exactly why, so many decades after his death, he still has such a devoted following.  The full treasury can be seen here, but below I will put a few of my favorites.



The time and effort put in to this mask is absolutely staggering.  It is delicate, intricate, and totally gorgeous.  Definitely not a price tag for your average masquerade ball, but this is the type of item you would want to display on your wall year-round, only to wear to that extravagant event to leave everyone else speechless.  Truly stunning.


I'm a sucker for illustrations done on old book pages.  Thought I in no way advocate the destruction of antique or non-damaged books, some texts will simply not stand the test of time.  What better way to pay respect to the hard work of the author than to create something beautiful with a page from their novel?  In this illustration, I am especially drawn to the delicious contrast between the white of the paper, the deep black of the ink bottle, and the ruby crimson of the quill.  



Though Poe himself has been widely rumored for years now to have been a heavy absinthe drinker, Poe experts believe this to be an unfortunate lie.  He seems like the type of man who should have drank absinthe, and so the rumor lived on.  Despite this, when I stumbled upon this perfume, I knew I had to include it in the list.  The wonderful emerald hue is captivating, and though I have never so much as seen a bottle of absinthe in person, I am curiously drawn to the very idea of this scent.


To round out the list, of course, a portrait of the man himself, done in a blotchy, wonderful mess of watercolor-like smudges.  An understated yet visually commanding piece.  I think I need this to hang near my bookcase: staring at those deep, shadowy eyes would surely helps steer oneself away from tawdry romance novels, and toward deep, captivating, meaningful novels instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment